As part of a supplier evaluation process, outline and review the implementation plan as a group before selecting a supplier.
Five step model
Summarize strategic and operational objectives
- Confirm understanding with stakeholders and potential suppliers
- Validate against Charter
Zero-in on specific and tangible deliverables
- Simplify/summarize proposal so stakeholders understand exactly what is to be purchased, and relationship to objectives-executive summary format.
- Clarity on scope, and how/when to address important out-of-scope work.
- Does the potential supplier/service provider/consultancy understand long-term goals and strategy to leverage tools and processes? For example, that will be sustainable as staff and organizational change occur?
- Have other related needs been identified to ensure scope boundary clarity, validate ranking, and where/how in future schedule they fit and will be addressed? Full stakeholder agreement in advance for these decisions to avoid a subsequent, “What about….”.
- Decide what not-to-do and document.
Outcome over time: 90 days and one year milestones
- High level dashboard to sustain visibility?
- Develop success story to share
- Is a PM needed to ensure schedule, resources, and quality goals are met?
- Measurement or reporting schedule/ cadence
Roles and responsibilities
- How/who will the organization leverage or utilize the new knowledge, plan, product, service?
- Who has responsibility to do what when?
- When will these tasks complete, and how will we agree they are complete? Definitions with metrics.
Identify integration points and priorities
- Relationship to current process/technology platform
- Relationship to subsystems or other tools that are currently integrated
- Relationship to supplier systems and processes? Simplification?