Meeting, Work Session, or Workshop Design:
“It’s all about meetings, and meeting excellence”, Tom Peters, October 2014
The work going to preparing the environment, setting the tone, inviting the right participants, a clear process, and well defined next steps is essential.
- Carefully prepare facilitation artifacts, dialog structure, and question techniques
- Provide information and insight in advance articulating benefits for attendees
Definition – Clarify objectives with sponsor and identify participants and other stakeholders to be sure the scope and boundaries are clear and understood by all stakeholders.
Research – Engage with the participants and stakeholders in advance to gain insight into their thinking, highlight issues, confirm strategy, and identify additional influences.
Preparation – Design the workshop agenda, process, create materials, and prepare an event guide if needed.
The Workshop – The workshop or meeting, lasting from an hour to a half-day
One example scenario is to focus the design process on solving specific problems for a distinctive role.
- An abstract person or persona is created by collaboratively generating the defining characteristics of that persona, and capturing them in a place that the entire group can review and refine.
Workshop Dialog Technique: For reflection on ideas generated during brainstorming, ideation, decomposition, etc.
One: “Compliment and Wonder” during group discussion of concepts and ideas.
- First acknowledge the contribution and value of a participants suggestion
- For an idea that needs development, in place of a direct critique, try a “I wonder if…..” approach.
Two: Consideration Sequence-where to start when facing a board full of ideas and concepts.
- Concept-test for understanding and match to requirement
- Composition-clarity of communication, sketch, prototype, etc.
- Collections or groups [organization] to see trends or patterns
- Combinations-highlight those with potential to lead to new ideas
- Craft-select process best practices that can be captured
Documentation – A summary will be produced with 24 hours while conversations are still fresh.